Wednesday, July 4, 2012

#3 - Psycho (1960)

Up until this very day I had never seen an Alfred Hitchcock film. Go ahead and mock me. NOT.

I just checked Psycho off the list, suckers.

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of the black and white palette. Then again I do have "To Kill a Mockingbird", "The Great Dictator" and, of course, "Casablanca" on the list among others, so I suppose I will get over it. But I don't care if I can't tell blood from chocolate syrup apart (fun fact!), I loved this movie.

I mean, good god, watch any modern thriller film and you will realise how influential this movie is. Sans the shower scene, modern horror/suspense movies should really cut that out. In fact, they should look back at this film and realise the numerous mistakes they commit. Funny thing: just as the iconic screeching violin music kicked in my brother came into my room asking "How many people did he kill yet?" That's the beauty of it, killing one person is horrible enough to begin with! You don't need to slaughter a dozen promiscuous teenagers to prove you are scary.

I googled "Generic slasher film" and House of Wax came up. That says a lot.

Again, the performance of the main antagonist is what makes the movie. Come on, I am not giving anything away, you know from the very beginning that something's wrong with Anthony Perkins' character, Norman Bates. Figuring out what exactly is wrong with him is great.

Unfortunately, since it's such an old and iconic movie, I sort of could see the ending coming. I was still shocked, since it actually didn't turn out as I expected. So please, if you plan on watching Psycho, don't google it. The least informed you are about it the better. Whoops.

Didn't see it coming? Be honest.

If you're a horror/suspense/thriller buff, and you haven't seen it already, by all means go do it. You'll see how influential it is to modern slasher films.

I am aware that there is a shot-for-shot remake starring Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates. Which I am disregarding for the fact that VINCE VAUGHN IS NORMAN BATES. I mean, seriously? Who thought that was a good idea? Jeez, that's like Jim Carrey playing Leatherface. Stay away from that one and watch the original.

This is unacceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment