Wednesday, July 18, 2012

#18 - Midnight in Paris (2011)

Oh, Paris. I definitely have to go there before I die. So I can get mocked by pompous frenchmen on my rudimentary understanding of the French language. Back to the subject at hand, I'm glad I watched this film. My parents went to see it last year (before that divorce crap a couple of months ago) and enjoyed it, but I turned it down because, really, it sounds like the kind of film I'd fall asleep in the middle of, only to pretend I liked it on my way out of the theatre. But I did like it now.


The film is about Gil Pender (Owen Wilson), a Hollywood screenwriter attempting to finish his first novel. He, his fiancée Inez (Rachel McAdams) and her parents go to Paris on a vacation. During a midnight stroll he is somehow transported to the 1920's (an age he idolizes) and stumbles upon Hemingway, Picasso, Dali, and the likes. These characters help him on his novel and a model in particular makes him realize how empty his relationship is.


I always find it amusing to see comedic actors in more serious roles, and Owen Wilson is no exception. His character is hopelessly romantic, passionate and fun to watch. Just look at the awe and delight on his face when he bumps into all these artists. The other characters, like his fiancée, her parents and some jerk who's friends with Inez are sort of enjoyable too: they don't just take up space in between every one of Gil's time travelling thingies. 


If you keep them both apart, they can have very good serious roles. Stiller, not so much, though. 

But what the best thing here is hands down the artists and historical figures. Particularly if you know the context behind them. Remember forcefully reading F. Scott Fitzgerald's biography and "The Great Gatsby" in high school literature? Thank god that finally paid off! And excuse my ignorance but even when I have no idea on who Gretrude Stein is, I liked the way Kathy Bates portrayed her. Plus, every single one of them offer the main character some insight on his life from their perspective. Dali goes for a surrealist approach, Hemingway is more cynical...


Honestly, wouldn't you like to hang out with them?


I'm not very familiar with Woody Allen, but I definitely want to see more of his movies after this one. You might find it boring if you are not into this kind of films, but if you are familiar with the historical context and all the people the main character comes across, you just have to see it.


That nose... It's staring into my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment