Friday, August 31, 2012

#62 - The Truman Show (1998)

Well... I can't honestly say I'm dissapointed. After all, my expectations were incredibly low when I sat down to watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last week. Eternal Sunshine was a fantastic film and I enjoyed every minute of it, and the fact that Jim Carrey's personal acting style (which I can barely stand) was extremely downplayed helped a lot. I'm not precisely saying I didn't like the Truman Show; I liked it, as a matter of fact, but Carrey's mannerisms and acting style got in the way.

Call me nitpicky, but it just pisses me off. You want to make a complete fool of yourself, Carrey? Then make another one of those mongoloid comedies you do all the time. This is a pretty dramatic film, so, really, is it so hard to take at least one fucking role seriously? Carrey plays Truman Burbank, a man unaware of the fact that he lives in a giant dome and his entire life is one big reality show. And after a series of weird events he realizes there is something wrong and eventually discovers the truth.

The film doesn't necessarily try to be funny, so why cast Carrey in the first place? There are plenty of scenes in which he is supposed to be serious or shocked; and instead laughs it out hysterically (as if he just had a mental breakdown or something). I liked the character and the concept, but the performance didn't go well with the rest of the movie.


  
"Hey look I smile like a fucking retard all the time I'm so hilarious" No, you are not.


It's a shame, because I had next to no problems with the rest of the film. The idea of a massive reality show based on just one person is a great sattire of reality television. Is the "real life" of a person really worth watching? How did they get so many people interested in watching someone, say, go to work, or take a shit? How is it exciting after 30 years? I personally can't stand reality shows and that is the main reason of why The Truman Show appeals so much to me. The entire world is more invested in someone else's life rather than their own - that is the true message behind the film. And it's great.

I also really liked the little clues that eventually hint Truman into figuring out his life is a TV show. Particularly because they also satirize how reality shows are supposed to be as realistic as possible but only come out as commercial garbage. Truman's wife is always discussing a new product out fo the blue like she was advertising it, the way everything is a routine to the point that every passerby (aka extras) is actually walking in looped cycles around every block...

  
Forced product placement at its finest. I suddenly feel a massive urge to buy kitchen appliances.


The Truman show is not a bad film by any means, and I quite enjoyed it. I just wish another actor was cast. Tom Hanks? Anyway, if you're a mindless fan of Carrey (no offense, it just grinds my gears a lot) you will enjoy it and laugh like a moron whenever he opens his big stupid mouth (sorry again, I can't help it). If you are not, Jim's lovely mannerisms don't really get much in the way, to be honest, so it's still a very enjoyable movie.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, just thought I'd add one vote of agreement about the show. I liked the movie well enough, but kept thinking how other actors could have added so much more to the movie.

    ReplyDelete