Thursday, August 9, 2012

#39 - The Sixth Sense (1999)

Fuck you, Adam Sandler, fuck you. I would have enjoyed this film ten times more if you hadn't spoiled the twist ending in 50 First Dates. I know it's a 13 year old movie, but I didn't know it! Surprisingly enough, though, this film can still be very enjoyable if you know what happens.

We all know what Sixth Sense is about. You have Bruce Willis as Malcolm Crowe, a child psychologist who is working on Cole Sear (Haley Joel Osment). Crowe is interested in Cole since he displays a similar behavior to an old patient of his, that had tried to murder him after he failed to help him. Turns out Cole is not insane: he can actually see ghosts. Or something.

       
You can just wrap it up in the often parodized "I see dead people" quote.

While Bruce Willis plays a very convincing and interesting character, trying to deal with his deteriotated relationship with his wife; the kid steals the film. What I really liked about Osment's performance is how believable it is. For instance, he is mocked by other kids but doesn't go through a cliche'd "I just want to fit in!" scene; and when he sees a ghost, he doesn't just cringe and call his mom: he gets scared and then retreats to calm himself. Disturbing as it may sound, this is how an 8 year old would probably react like if he went through this.

Another thing I really liked about Sixth Sense is that I can't call it a proper horror flick. The film never really gets scary: it just creeps you out the perfect amount so you can empathize with Cole. I mean, hanged, mangled corpses would scare the fuck out of me too, but you can see they just momentarily shock the kid and he then acts as naturally as the situation allows it.

       
"Yeah, they're just hanging there (get it?)".

Again, I would have really enjoyed the flick more if I hadn't been spoiled the ending. And even then, I still loved how every scene still works if you know the twist. I know M. Night Shyamalan's reputation was destroyed by films like The Village or The Last Airbender (I will forever hate you for the latter one), and how he keeps making films with silly twist endings and similar themes, but the twist here is fantastic. If only I hadn't been- fuckyouadamsandler.

Shyamalan may have a shitty filmography, but this one is still very good. And even if you know the ending (because this is 2012 and everyone knows it) you can still enjoy it.

On a totally unrelated sidenote, yes, I am posting this at 4 AM. I really got hooked on Psychonauts and forgot to watch a film today. I know this is a movie blog, but I have to promote this, because if there ever was a commercially underrated videogame, it's this one. So please, if you are into 3D platformers get your copy off Steam or something and give Tim Schafer some love. And then give yourself some love and play it.

No comments:

Post a Comment