Sunday, August 26, 2012

#57 - Carrie (1976)

Why, oh why don't we get horror flicks like this any more? Carrie is a fucking masterpiece. Ok, I will admit it has some minor issues but in general, it does everything right. I can't believe I hadn't seen it yet, given how much I like the film adaptations of Stephen King's books. The Shining and Misery are some of my favorite films and while It may be goofy or laughable right now it did scare the shit out of me as a kid. My expectations were high, and the film managed to meet them with flying colors.

Carrie, played by Sissy Spacek, is a shy girl with no friends. When she gets her first period she freaks out (since her abusive religious fanatic mother tries to keep "the sin of blood" from her). Screaming with blood all over her hands with no idea of what's going on, her classmates start mocking her until the gym teacher intervenes and put them all in detention. While some of the girls feel sorry, one even asking her boyfriend to take her to prom, one of them is extremely pissed at her and tries to get back by humiliating her at prom night. Oh, and did I mention Carrie somehow has telekinesis when she becomes stressed? It's very hard not to give away the ending so I won't describe the story any further: what I can tell you is I loved it. It is a very original premise, after all.


It's the freaking seventies. You should know what that is.

The thing this film does best is making the audience care for the characters. Trust me, you can't not feel sorry for Carrie by the time the film is done. Aside from being shy and awkward, I don't see why would anyone hurt a girl like this physically or mentally, and Sissy Spacek's performance only makes her seem more vulnerable and empathic. I found the beginning of the prom scene particularly heartwrenching: Carrie was finally being accepted, having the time of her life and pretty much being happy for the first time on her life, all while being blissfully ignorant of what was going on behind the curtain (literally).

And just like we care a lot for the protagonist, you will hate the antagonists just as much. Carrie's mother embodies everything wrong with religious fanatism, blaming all her problems on "sin", and believes strict discipline (aka constant abuse) will keep her daughter away from it. And Chris, the popular asshat that organizes the whole "prank" against Carrie, gives the word bitch a new definition.


"Look, her vagina is bleeding! Let's throw stuff at her!" (Whoops, boobies!)

But that's the biggest problem I have with Carrie. I mean, really? A horrified girl gets her first period and the immediate reaction from her classmates is laughing at her and showering her with tampons? And scheming a mastermind plan to humiliate her at prom just because she got them into detention for being heartless bitches? Come on. I know I just said it's impossible not to feel sorry for Carrie but the situation is way too surreal. Aside from that and the fact that every single character in this film is a fucking stereotype, I have no other complains.

While the situation may be a little too twisted or surreal, it rarely got in the way of the great story and characters. The "horror" part only kicks in at the end, and it never gets particularly scary, just unnerving or disturbing, but that's even better in my book. I prefer a good, non-scary story than a scary one where the horror elements get in the way of the plot. In fact, I think this is one of my favorite films in this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment